Submissions are OPEN from January 13 – February 24 for Issue 8: Alternative History (see below).
Welcome to Speculative City‘s Year of Genre. Speculative fiction is often defined as genre fiction, a useful phrase for those looking to separate “literary fiction” from its more exploratory counterpart. In a reclamation of the term, in 2020, Speculative City will feature four specific genres showcasing the incredible range that speculative fiction can offer. The second genre of focus will be alternative history.
We are looking for fiction, poetry, and essays within the alternative history genre. And, as per usual, we seek provocative works that are centered within a cityscape. Writers published will be paid $20-$55 according to the category and length of their submission. We do not accept submissions exceeding 5500 words.
- All submissions should be the original, unpublished work of the submitter.
- We will accept simultaneous submissions, but please inform us if the submission has been accepted by another publication.
- We do not accept multiple submissions for fiction or essays.
- Please submit word (.doc, .docx) or rich text format (.rtf) files and format your submission according to our format guide.
- Please send all inquiries to info @ speculativecity .com .
- We try to respond to all submissions, but as a team of two, we may not always be able to.
All submissions should be sent through Green Submissions. Green Submissions requires users to create an account. Please see link to sign up and submit at https://greensubmissions.com/1024/speculative-city/index.php.
Before submitting work, please also be familiar with our contract.
noun|al·ter·na·tive his·to·ry| \ ȯl-ˈtər-nə-tiv ˈhi-st(ə-)rē \
Definition of ALTERNATIVE HISTORY
- a genre of fiction that diverges from factual history to explore possible realities if specific events/periods in history occurred differently